Friday, December 7, 2012

K-Tape Experiment

Today, I had my knee k-taped.

These elastic tapes come from Japan and are the new trend! Indeed, not only are they multipurpose: useful to reduce swelling and bruises, stimulate or relax muscles, stabilize joints... but they are also catchy and fun as they exist in tons of colors.

The first time I was introduced to those flashy stripes was during the Roller Derby World Cup in Toronto, as k-tape was heavily used by the physiotherapists, especially that of Team USA. Which was a good point for us (Team France) because the tapes were also matching our colors... given that we were in red and blue like the Americans!
It was misleading, by the way. Once, a spectator asked me when *we* were playing... Dude, do you really care that much about Team France or did you just mistake me for a member of Team USA? Victim, but proud.

The second time I met the k-tapes was in my rehab center where they are also used a lot, especially to reduce bruises of post-surgery patients: put without being stretched, they make folds on the skin, which helps lymphatic flow. It WORKS.
I was taped during my second stay in rehab because I had periosistis on both my legs. It is meant to work well on tendonitis and all, but I must say that, apart from reminding me that I had to keep it easy thanks to the flashy yellow and blue colors on my shins, it did not help much.



Amongst all the existing colors
it had to be dull beige :(

And today, I am doing it again. This time, it is an experiment. The aim is to:
  1. relax the quadriceps with a band (making these folds on my skin),
  2. stabilize the knee with the band which divides into two parts on both sides of the patella,
  3. lower the patella thanks to another band above it, in order to release tensions in the patellofemoral area (i.e. tendon below the knee cap),
  4. relax the muscles above the internal ligament to relieve it with a third band.
I must confess that my thigh muscles are complaining right now. And it does release the patella, the knee is lighter and easier to bend. A bit as if I was into water. Let's wait and see in a day or two...


RELATED POSTS

No comments:

Post a Comment