Friday, December 30, 2011

Superman's Dead


Yesterday they changed my cast.
Three weeks already and only three left. I’m half-way!
The surgeon cut the old one with a drill and wrapped my leg up with the same baby blue resin bands from my hip down to my toes. MERRY CHRISTMAS! Loving my extra present.

In-between, I had the opportunity to admire my dead-white leg.

“Ch-ch-ch-ch-chaaanges”

My skin is naturally white but I discovered that it could get whiter than white. I won a couple of extra hairs – I’m not a hairs-lover but I convey it’s kind of natural after three weeks in the warm cavity of the cast. But what bothered (and bothers) me the most is that my thigh and my calf are missing. Seems that they took some holidays for the festive season. I am *not* OK with it. At all.
COME BACK HOOOME! [call of distress]


In case you really believed that the holiday stuff was true, here is a more or less faithful reconstruction of what really happened:
Body thinking – “Oh she’s not using this leg anymore. Let’s cut off the supplies and save energy!”  
That’s the pitiless logic of the human body: If you’re useless you don’t get food, you shrivel and nobody cares.
The good news is that bodies also have a memory: they get to remember as fast as they willingly forget. But still!! My poor leg is disfigured and I’m better off with a cast not to have to bear the sight of it. Hopefully, Nature knows best and I’ve got one leg left!
I put things into perspective a lot. I watched “The Horse Whisperer” yesterday. My case is definitely one big joke. At least it's not that serious.
But thinking over – I don’t do many things currently, except translating articles for work, going for walks to improve my endurance with crutches …and thinking! Thinking over, convalescing affects me psychologically more than I would have thought. 

I’m just experiencing one of those revelation key-points in life. Like when you learn that Santa Claus doesn’t exist, or like when you realize that your parents are not super-heroes. I’m starting to understand that I’m not invincible. Too bad…

When I was ten I was a whisker away from dying. For real, the death for which you can’t insert coins to start a new play. Doctors didn’t realize soon enough that I had appendicitis and they saved me only a couple of hours before it was too late. But probably because I hadn’t unlocked all the needed key-revelations to reach that stage back then, the episode didn’t especially affect me although I stayed 15 days in bed at the hospital so that I had forgotten how to walk (one of the body’s logics) – the re-learning was fun! [In fact it did affect me *a lot* in the years that followed but this is another story.]



♪ Why-y-y-y yeah is Superman dead?
Is it in my head
We'll just laugh instead


Now, considering that I still have one valid leg left, and that I’m back home where aaaall my pairs of skates are hibernating… Can I wake up half of one for a crutches-and-skate ride?



RELATED POSTS:

4 comments:

  1. Encore 3 semaines ! Tiens bon Schtroumpf costaud !

    ReplyDelete
  2. The date is settled: my leg is free on Jan.20th! I will feel lighter for the EROC ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am waiting for your event report.
      Best wishes!

      Delete