Thursday, April 24, 2014

My 'Teenage Tunes' on SoundCloud

"These songs were written by my teenage self some years ago. I thought that they would probably be better out here than shun away into music notebooks."
I started writing songs when I put an end to my music training at the Conservatoire - a complete classical package with violin, music theory, choir and strings orchestra. I was in my high school years and I wanted to have more time for my growing passion: SKATING. Looking back, I am sad I quit a few months before taking my final exam but I am also glad I bet on the right horse, given where skating has taken me, so far!
But I missed music right away so that I used my extra free time for learning the rudiments of piano and I started writing songs.

Lettering by Frednetik / Photo by Lightpunk

My first live performance as a singer-songwriter was for the annual Christmas Charity Concert organized by my litterary class in high school... I found myself singing a love song at a grand piano, in a crowded chapel (I was in a Catholic school), with my poor piano technique and my teenage voice. Quite an atypical and moving first time!
Especially the end bit with the standing ovation, which I'm just recalling as I'm writing those lines. I guess sincerity paid off...

A couple of years later I entered the world of electro-rock and drum'n bass by getting the singing part (and later the writing part too) in my band Akouphën.

But at about the same time, I got real skating opportunities and I moved to Paris, once more to focus on sports at the expense of music (that's cyclic).


Although my most prolific period was my teenage years, I've never stopped writing songs for myself. Three dozens of songs are sleeping in my music notebooks...
And I thought it was time to record them clean enough so that they can be enjoyed by more people than just me. I will publish new tracks every other week or so, as part of a "Teenage Tunes" playlist.

Note 1: I don't know much about sound editing, so please forgive my mixing mistakes.
Note 2: I kept it all - the cute melodies, the (more or less) cheesy lyrics... so please be lenient!

BIG THANKS to FREDNETIK for having captured the very soul of those past years into that cool lettering, and to LIGHTPUNK for digging up the period photo!
The general imagery is my little tribute to a great artist...

I'm not sure about the order in which I should publish them.
Let's begin by the beginning with my second composition, the very song I played on that grand piano that winter night in the chapel of my high school:"Stop Loving You".



RELATED POSTS:

No comments:

Post a Comment